Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Final Weekend of Training


Hello Supporters!

Well, it's been a few weeks since I last posted, but all has been going well. After climbing Hood, I took a weekend off to rest my bones, then hit the peaks over the 4th.

So well rested and ready to hit the peaks, I took advantage of 4th of July weekend by heading into Yosemite for a summit of Mt. Lyell with a few amigos (Lauren and Ryan). Ryan and Lauren were going to join in up Lyell Canyon. Friday we were to walk in, establish a base camp and rest for the following day. Saturday, Ryan and I were going to take off to bag Lyell and MacClure, summit both, then come back to spend the evening with Lauren in excellent company. Stories, food, stars and laughs. Sunday was the walkout. What a great plan?!

Well, I failed to remember the quota system and challenge of getting wilderness permits. We did not get a permit to head into Lyell Canyon. Lauren had lowland things to take care of. The trip changed. No worries, though; it's all about improvising and moving with the changes...

So Ryan and I headed up to Yosemite on Thursday for what turned out to be a marathon weekend. Friday we climbed by setting a few topropes up at Great Western Front near Daff Dome--5.9-5.10b. After an afternoon of climbing, we ran up the S. slope of Lembert Dome in the Tuolumne High Country. Saturday, thinking we'd hit Lyell or Conness in a day, we woke up late, scratching yet another plan. Driving to do Mt. Hoffman, Ryan picked out an old favorite of mine, the Kuna Crest. We ended up climbing Mammoth Peak, over 12, then traversing the Kuna Crest and summiting 4 additional peaks along the way. By sundown we were happy and exhausted, both clutching frosty beers in delighted satisfaction.

Thinking we'd take it easy and head to the Valley for some toproping, Ryan and I headed West down Tioga Road. However, as we neared the Pass, Ryan's mood changed and he asked me hesitantly, "hey dude, can we do Mt. Dana instead?" Having climbed Dana numerous times, both winter and summer, and wanting to do something different, inwardly I resisted. Then I realized, although I know this peak front and back, it's a beautiful hike and great training. So, I accepted the idea with one variation: we climb nonstop and race ourselves. Ryan and I summited the 3000 vertical feet and 2-3mile trail in nearly 55 minutes with only one minute-long break (I requested it) to get some water. Ryan, always ready for a slog, came equipped with a Camelbak. Not bad. Feeling strong.

So we had a wonderful, hard weekend. Driving down from Dana I wanted more. Ryan resisted my call to sprint up Lembert Dome and we instead headed to Oakdale for some delicious and much deserved Mexican food.

Training went exceptionally well last weekend, and better than any plan that we had ever devised weeks before...

This weekend, more rest as I head to NC for my old buddy's wedding. I will find ways to keep myself going.

Next weekend is THE climb, Rainier. It's time. I couldn't be more stoked.


On the fundraising front, I'm still waiting for a few of you to make your mark. There's little time before my climb--less than two weeks-- so it would be incredible if you could donate soon! Just click the link on the top right of the blog called the "Link to Steve's Donation Page". I've still got some distance to go and only you can help me move forward!

Until my next week, check out these pictures from this weekend. Ryan and I were on the top of the world! It's time... Also, check back frequently as I'm going to try and post a video from the top of the Kuna Crest. I just need to figure out how to post such a large file. Until then...

Thanks for your support and Happy Trails!!

No comments: